BCC Software's suite of address quality, mailing preparation, and data quality services are relied on by some of the country's biggest direct communications companies. If you are looking for a place where your ideas are heard, and you can make an immediate impact, BCC Software is the place for you.
The Director of Software Engineering is responsible for the leadership and performance of the BCC Software development group including software engineering, quality assurance, and technical documentation. The Director ensures that business priorities are being advanced and Engineering resources are available to meet the company’s objectives. The Director’s primary goal is to ensure a productive engineering team that can deliver on the product roadmap in a timely fashion. This person will also be responsible for making major design decisions, enforcing coding standards, and owning the quality of the final solutions.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Build, groom and lead a team of software engineers, quality assurance technicians, technical writers, and engineering resources.
- Support our Scrum teams with a focus on big picture initiatives fostering a “can do” culture, setting teams up for success, remove impediments and ensuring alignment of skills with the company vision.
- Manage tactical implementation of engineering operations, in accordance with the company’s overall strategic plans and business objectives.
- Collaborate with product management on the development of new products and enhancements to existing products.
- Provide leadership, technical guidance, and training to ensure that best practices are being effectively implemented and utilized.
- Allocate the necessary resources and skill sets to projects ensuring technical, cost, and schedule requirements are met.
- Work closely with management team, product managers, software architects, and engineering staff on requirements definition and sizing.
- Act as a liaison with contractors, vendors and offshore resources.
- Direct and manage software engineering resource allocation, schedules and budget.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or related field, and/or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in Software Engineering with at least 8 years of management experience.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to direct and influence other leaders in a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills in a technical and non-technical capacity, interpersonal and problem-solving skills required.
- Demonstrated decision making skills in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
- Extensive expertise in software design standards and Agile methodologies.
- Experience managing offshore resources.
- Demonstrated in-depth expertise with postal related products and services a plus.
- Expertise in developing SaaS and Cloud based products.
- Expertise in engineering best practices (Git, CI, TDD, QA, Automation Tests).
- Track record of recruiting and building world-class in-house and distributed software teams.
In addition to a dynamic work environment, we offer outstanding benefits. Direct hires will have immediate benefits eligibility. Our benefits package includes:
- Three company sponsored health plans to choose from
- Dental and Vision benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) for those that choose a high deductible health plan
- Company paid Disability and Life insurance, with the option to add additional coverage
- 401k with immediate company match
- Paid time off, plus company paid holidays
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
Other perks include:
- Active social committee that plans regular company events inside and outside of the office
- Collaborative culture that embraces new ideas
- Business casual work environment
- Professional training and development opportunities
- Career paths with room for advancement